Friday, December 21, 2007

Anhinga

The anhinga is sometimes called the snake bird, probably because it has a long skinny neck. I read that the blue around the eyes get bluer during mating season. I assume it is mating season because the ones I photographed last year didn't have as much blue around the red eyes.

During my last two visits to Florida I was lucky to get so close to anhingas. When I see one drying its wings - usually after a successful underwater hunt - I know that it will allow me to get fairly close. This bird was resting on the banks of a small pond in Citrus Park, near Bonita Springs, Florida.

I have more photos of anhingas at:
http://www.lanephotography.com/birds/american_anhinga/american_anhinga_01.htm




No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...