Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bakeapples

I was hiking yesterday and came across a boggy area which had lots of bakeapples growing on it. In many places these wild berries are known as cloudberries. I made a mental note of the area and will return in a couple of weeks to pick some of these delicious wild berries.

Bakeapples, about the size of raspberries, grow in open areas all around Newfoundland and Labrador and I got pretty wet while trying to get close-up photos of the berries in today's photos. When they are ripe, the berries will amber rather than red. I'll get photos of ripe berries in a couple of weeks.

Bakeapples, which are used for jams and many desserts, contain lots of Vitamin C and are low in calories. Sounds like a perfect food!!






No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...