Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Winter, Thunder Falls

Back in the 70s, when I lived in Grand Falls, a snowshoe hike would take me to Leeches Brook, later renamed to Thunder Falls. The falls were photogenic no matter what time of the year I visited them, but the huge icicles of the 40 - 50 ft. frozen water falls was very dramatic. Both photos this morning were taken during winter outings.

The first was taken from the top of "First Falls". I liked the tree that was bent over by the weight of the ice and snow. It was bright and most of the scene was dark because of the deep river valley. The light reflecting off the river far below shows gives an indication of how high up I am.

The second photo shows a frozen "Second Falls" where I have swam many times in summer. I remember that day - walking slowly out on the ice and getting closer to the falls for a better photo. It was a beautiful experience that I will never forget. The photos bring back the memories and feelings every time I look at them. I have a feeling that the memories remain vivid because of the "photographic experience".





No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...