Friday, March 09, 2007

Tracks in Snow

There is a debate going on in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador that involves using snowmobiles in the province's Wilderness Areas. I have never owned a snowmobile because I liked the peace and quiet of snowshoeing through the woods on a cool winter's day rather than the noise created by the snowmobile. I have also felt that snowshoeing was better for the environment and provided more physical exercise than a skidoo. I agree with the people who want to keep the Wilderness Areas free from snowmobiles and other types of ATVs.

Often I have walked in the same areas that snowmobiles frequent and taken photos of the trails left behind. Three photos this morning show images I have captured during long winter walks.

The first shows my "delicate" tracks next to the deep trail cut by a snow machine. The second shows my snowshoe trail disappearing into the setting sun. And the third photo is an abstract photo of a snowmobile trail. I zoomed the lens towards the trail as I took the photo giving the effect of motion or speed. To get photos of the snowshoe tracks leading away from the camera requires double the exercise because I had to loop back and walk the same trail again.






No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...