Friday, August 13, 2010

L'Anse aux Meadows 5






Two "Vikings" were working in the longhouse when I entered and I recognized the face of the guy cutting leather. I spoke of another who was there six years ago and was told he would be there later in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay around to photograph him, but there are several photos of him on my web site. The people who work there are very knowledgeable about the Viking Sagas and the Viking way of life. I imagine they tell their stories to thousands of people every year.

Because I photograph Hands, I made several while the Viking cut leather to make a pair of boots.

I mentioned yesterday that I doubted the Vikings carried domestic animals on their voyages across the northern oceans. A person on my Photo of the Day list sent me this comment which would explain the presence of a butter churn: I have a somewhat dim recollection from touring Lief Ericsson's ship in St. John's harbour that they actually put sand in the bottom of the boat so that they could keep a fire lit there, and that they brought goats on the voyage with them.

Feel free to check out the photos I took at L'Anse aux Meadows in 2004 at:
http://www.lanephotography.com/lance%20aux%20meadows/lance%20aux%20meadows%20introduction.htm

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...