Monday, August 09, 2010

L'Anse aux Meadows








This is the beginning of my L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site series. I was amazed at the number of changes that were observable since my first visit in 2004. The first was observed as I drove into the main parking lot. There was a piece of art made of steel or iron that had been mounted on the rocky hills near the parking lot. The second version of the statues is more of a silhouette, which I captured by metering off a brighter part of the scene..

When we arrived, the Visitor Information Centre was closed for renovations and a park worker told me that there was a road with another parking lot that we can use to walk to the actual site. Though we had to park, then walk about 5-8 minutes to get to the site, the road actually took us to the fence shown in the second photo. It looked as though this road was very new and was probably the first year it had been opened. The fence surrounding the huts had been changed as well. Last time it was made of horizontal twigs weaved between the posts.

The doorway to the longhouse had also been changed - there were no decorations above the door when I photographed it last. I did photograph the windows in the huts as well.

If you wish to compare the changes as I describe them, feel free to check out the photos I took last time at: http://www.lanephotography.com/lance%20aux%20meadows/lance%20aux%20meadows%20introduction.htm

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...