Thursday, October 08, 2009

Moose 2






I had several comments on the moose photos I shared yesterday one of which was from a hunter. Most people thought the moose was an interesting, if not beautiful animal, but the hunter thought that I was being too sentimental about the animals and that hunters want to put food on their tables.

I want to make it clear that I am not against hunting for food, but I don't understand hunting for sport. Many years ago a young high school student pointed out that I was a hunter - just that I hunted with a camera. My response at the time was that she was right - I look for and stalk moose, then shoot them - with a camera - however, when I am done, the moose is still alive. The process of "hunting" is the same but the weapon and outcome of the hunt is different.

In Newfoundland and Labrador there is a debate about moose because of the large number of moose-vehicle accidents. Many want more of these large animals hunted to cut down their numbers and, hopefully, the number of accidents. Others want a high fence built on, or vegetation cleared from, both sides of the province's highways. I think there is a petition that will try to force the government to do something about the problem soon.

The first photo this morning shows the mother moose who was on high alert because she heard me approaching. In the fourth photo, the mother was looking towards the calf which had wandered out of sight. After several minutes, she started to head towards the calf and disappeared into the trees.




No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...