Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Woodpeckers






Woodpeckers

This summer I observed two different types of woodpeckers visiting a bird feeder, taking seeds, then hiding them in the bark of nearby trees. At first I thought it was an anomaly but it happened several days in a row so I assume it is natural behaviour for these types of woodpeckers.

Today's images show hairy and downy woodpeckers, both of which visited the birdfeeder. The downy is the smaller of the two and has a shorter beak than the larger hairy woodpcker.

Like most birds, they get used to me taking pictures as long as I don't make any sudden movements or noises. They just ignore me and go about their business while I try to capture them when they are still - which isn't very often. If you have ever observed these types of birds, you will realize that they are almost always in constant motion which makes it difficult to capture a view with their whole bodies in focus.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...