Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Quaker House 1





Quaker House 1

When I travel, I like visiting "living museums" and have shared photos from several over the years. According to the people working there, built in 1785 Quaker House is the oldest surviving home in the Halifax/Dartmouth area. It was designated a municipal and provincial historic site after being saved from destruction in the early 1970s. For the nest few days I plan to share photos I took during my visit. Since the majority were taken inside, I used my Nikon P500 to make the images.

The first few photos were taken from Ochterloney Street in Dartmouth. The house has been restored to reflect the original built in the late 1700s, and you can see that it is well-maintained. As we stepped inside, I was greeted by two young people dressed in period costumes. They provided lots of information and offered a tour, which I refused. I prefer to shoot photos at my own pace rather than depend on a tour guide. Starting tomorrow I'll share some of the objects I photographed inside this historic building.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...