Thursday, September 08, 2011

Barcelona 4
















Barcelona 4

The last three photos this morning were among the last photos I took in Barcelona. We were walking back to our hotel when I saw an elderly couple, each using a cane, walking along the street very slowly. I quickly focused and composed a couple of images. When I got home, I didn't like the garbage boxes and later cropped them out of the image - check my Blog to see the cropped version.

In most cities we saw people begging on the streets and when I saw an apparently healthy young man sitting on the street with a cup, I decided to make an image of him. I set up the image and made the photo just as a couple passed by. They actually moved further away from him and looked away, the most common response I witnessed.

The lady sitting near the entrance of a church picked what she considered a good spot, but as you can see, most people looked away and walked past her as well. I was disappointed in the image because a lady walked in the way just as I made the photo blocking the view of her bare feet.

I don't know the circumstances that make these people sit on streets begging for money from tourists so I am trying not to judge them. Many of the beggars were older people with arms or legs missing, in wheelchairs or just sitting on a street corner. There were also younger, healthier-looking people looking for the kindness of strangers.

Tomorrow will be the last day of my Mediterranean Cruise Series that I began on June 26. I've explained several times that I've been uploading 10-15 photos per day to my Photo of the Day Blog and several of you have let me know that you have been checking them daily. This morning you will see more photos of the streets of Barcelona as well as more art on the outside of buildings.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...