Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Moose






Moose

Spring here usually means moose in my yard and though I have seen many tracks, the first time I saw any was on May 3. I looked out my living room window to see a mother and last years calf munching on the evergreen trees near my house. Since I photograph every moose I see, I ran to get my camera but when I opened the front door, both moose bolted down my driveway.

The first photo shows both moose just after they stopped running and looked back towards the house. Even though both moose were close together and the composition was awkward, I decided to make a few photos anyway. After a minute or so they relaxed and wandered into the woods. I walked towards them and saw the mother looking at me as I photographed her through the trees. Again she became nervous and wandered into the bog keeping an eye on me while looking around for her calf. Though she didn't make a sound I could hear, the calf came out of the woods and they both wandered across the bog and disappeared into the trees.

Even though I have lived here for thirty years and have seen hundreds of moose, I still get excited each time. A couple of nights ago I photographed another moose in the same area of my yard and was able to make a few images before it ran off. I will share photos of that moose tomorrow.

I have three Moose Galleries at: http://www.lanephotography.com/moose/moose.htm

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...