Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Phillipsburg, St. Maarten















Phillipsburg, St. Maarten

As our cruise ship approached the dock in Phillipsburg, another Royal Caribbean ship, Vision of the Seas docked just ahead of us. That ship had crossed the Atlantic Ocean from Lisbon, Portugal and was 15 miles or so ahead of us the whole way. However, we didn't see it once.  Apparently from the top of the ship to the horizon was a distance of around 12 miles.

There was a crowd on Deck 12 during our approach - so many in fact that I went to Deck 13 to make photos.  Two more large cruise ships were behind us: Disney's Fantasy and Norwegian Epic.  With that many ships I guess there were about 13 or 14 thousand people visiting the island.  However, as you will see from the photos over the next couple of days, the streets weren't really crowded.  I assume many people took shore excursions to other parts of the island.


This was the first time we had been on land for 10 days so we decided to visit Phillipsburg, the Dutch capital of St. Maarten.  My plan was to photograph the city, then after my wife returned to the ship, I would go to the airport to make photos of a beach that was so close to the airport that the planes almost touch the beach as they approach the runway.  Unfortunately, I spent so much time making photos of the city that I wasn't able to make it to the airport and back before the ship left port.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...