Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Flatrock







Flatrock

Flatrock is a scenic community located near the northeastern tip of the Avalon Peninsula. I started visiting this community when I was a young geology student at Memorial University in the late 1960s when I created a slide show about sedimentary rocks. You can see the layers in the rocks sloping into the ocean in today's photos which made it the perfect place to make photos.

Because of its proximity to St. John's, Flatrock is a growing community with a population of around 1200. If you are visiting the Avalon Peninsula, add this community to your list of places to visit. The rocky shores, steep cliffs, fishing boats and, in the right conditions, huge waves will guarantee that you won't be disappointed. The town also has a very interesting and photogenic Grotto where Pope John Paul II visited in 1984. I have many more images of the town and have added them to my list for a future Photo of the Day.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows

1 comment:

William F Matthews said...

Foggy pics. Conveys one aspect of the community very well. Interesting compositional element.

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...