Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hibbs Cove 3






Yesterday I explained the approach I used when photographing the stage in Hibbs Cove but today I want to explain another. Since 2003, I use a digital SLR with a variety of lenses. If I am photographing a community and leave my car, knowing that I have to return to it, I use one lens while walking in one direction, then change lenses as I walk back.

As I walked towards the boats I had my 70-300 mm lens and didn't take one photo of the scene because I was anxious to see what, if anything remained of the stage I had photographed a few times over a 25 year span. Since there was nothing left of it, I photographed other stages, the sea, a couple of wild ducks and some quartz veins in the cliffs.

As I started to return to the car, I made the first image of the two boats. I liked the fact that the new boat had been purposely placed upon the older, weather-beaten boat. There was a nice contrast between the styles, ages and condition of these small boats.

I then changed to my 17-40mm lens because I wanted to make an image of the large pleasure cradt and small boat beside it. I made several mages of the two as I continued back towards the car. The wide lens also made it possible to capture the boats, fishing stage in the background and part of the Fisherman's Museum to the top right.

You can see by the sky that it remained quite overcast, but just as I was making the last image, the sun came out for just a few seconds and provided interesting lighting for the shot.

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...