Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hibbs Cove 2






The fishing stage in today's photos was there in 2001, but I don't remember it being there before that. I wandered up the hill and made several photos of the building and wooden structures (which resembed a small fish flake). Since Hibbs Cove (formerly called Hibbs Hole until the name was changed in the late 60s or early 70s) has a Fisherman's Museum, Porter House Museum, and Hibbs Hole School Museum nearby, I assume this structure was set up for tourists to view.

Today's images show my approach to photographing fishing stages and other subjects. First I take a wide shot of the scene, then compose closer views as I get nearer. When I am very near, I shoot even closer views including macro images, if I "see" the photos. As I approached that day I concentrated on the wooden platform and chose to use my 17- 40 mm lens, the widest lens I have. I knew that if I focused on the wood closest to me, everything in the image would be in focus. The last photo shows a view of Conception Bay in the background.

You will notice that the sky is quite overcast, which wasn't the best to capture well-exposed images, but I found the lighting interesting none-the-less. What you can't tell from the photos is that the temperature was -4°C (25°F) and I was bundled up with a winter parka and toque that covered my head and ears.

No comments:

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...