Friday, June 27, 2008

Boat

A few years ago I stopped to photograph a small boat in a town called Harricott, located in St. Mary's Bay. I made several images of this boat and I am sharing them with you today to illustrate why I always take more than one photo of a subject.

As you are aware, a boat moves because of the wind so you can capture different angles as it sways back and forth. As you can see, even though the photos are of the same boat taken approximately the same time in the same location, the images are very different. The first is my favourite. I am not sure why I like that one better but it may be because the boat is on more of a diagonal.

When taking photos near the ocean, always be conscious of the horizon. I often forget and the horizon is on an angle in the photo. Then, in order to fix it, I have to rotate, then crop the photo, changing the composition slightly. Believe me, it is easier to ensure your horizon is level when you are taking the photo rather than later.

If you are out and about this summer, photograph the things around you that attract your attention. Boats, trains, cars, trucks, aircraft, excavators, tractors, etc. would be excellent subjects because our kids study transportation and "working" machines. Animals and plants from your part of the world would also be excellent. Feel free to email your photos to mqpphotos@gmail.com.


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...