Friday, November 30, 2007

Minerals

Since I was a young geology student in the late 1960s, I have maintained an interest in rocks and minerals. Newfoundland and Labrador is affectionately called "The Rock" and is an excellent place to find rocks and minerals. In fact, one of my former professors once described this province as a "geologist's paradise".

The first photo was taken in the Johnson Geocentre (www.geocentre.ca ) and shows a piece of gypsum, mined in Newfoundland and Labrador for making gyproc. The second photo was taken not too far from my house in Holyrood and shows calcite, one of the most common minerals on earth. As far as I know, calcite is not mined in this province.

My apologies for not sending my Photo of the Day for the past two days, but we have been having Internet problems again.




No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...