Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lichens

Thanks for the comments on Spring in your part of the world. So far I have received 25 responses. I am compiling comments as well. In a couple of days, I'll send the final tally and comments.

Spring is ahead - 4, Spring is Normal - 5, Spring is Behind - 18

Today, I am sharing 2 photos of lichens. Both were taken yesterday on the beach in Mobile, on the
Irish Loop. I was a participant in a field trip as part of a conference I am attending this week.

The lichens were growing on the highest rock on the beach. It is because that is where the seagulls land. While standing on the rock, they defecate and provide nutrients for this specific species of lichen. The lichens in the first photo are about 1 inch long. To show you more detail, I cropped a small section.


These organisms live on bare rock in the harshest environments. They are very tough and resourceful in order to be able to survive. Many are also very colourful and make great photographic subjects. I have been photographing lichens for years and have photographed many species around the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.




1 comment:

bearkat said...

Hi Bruce...this reminds me so much of the lichens I have seen in the mountains...makes me homesick for them...and in many ways spring is ahead this year...The lilacs will actually be blossoming for the Lilac festival this weekend!! Alas..with being so close to the mountains...we did get a dump of snow last night! Go figure!!:) :)

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...