Friday, July 28, 2006

Bumble Bees


Today I have chosen something a little different. The fireweed in my yard is blooming and that means hundreds of little visitors - bumble bees.


Each year I try to get the "perfect" photo of a bee. Usually, they are really active around fireweed flowers, but yesterday I found one bee that was really slow moving and stayed on one or two flowers while I photographed it. I have seen this type of behaviour in bees before, but usually in early morning when it was still cool outside. I took these photos around 10:30 am and it was fairly warm.

Though there were hundreds of bees buzzing all around, I was not too worried. I have photographed bees many times before and have never gotten stung. Sometimes they get a little mad and fly around me a few times, then fly off. They are not very aggressive.



1 comment:

Karen said...

You should submit your site to the Newfoundland & Labrador blogroll

http://nlblogroll.blogspot.com/

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...