Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Trinity 3




















Trinity 3

Many people in Newfoundland and Labrador still have small vegetable gardens in their yards and I saw a few in Trinity.  Most had root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, beets and turnip as well as rhubarb.  When I was a young boy nearly every home in towns I visited around the bays and many in the town of Grand Falls, where I grew up, had vegetable gardens.  Both my grandmothers cared for their gardens and, if I remember correctly, most gardens were tended by women.  Many people also grew fruit such as red currants, black currants and gooseberries.  In those days, there were no large grocery stores and fresh fruit and vegetables were harder to get unless you grew your own.  Well-manicured lawns were not as common back then.

Trinity certainly caters to tourists.  I photographed a small group of people on one of the streets who were part of a walking tour of Trinity.   I spoke to a local gentleman during my walk and he said that there are few families that still live there year round.  According to him, most houses have been purchased by people from St. John's and outside the province and are used only during the summer.

Also included this morning are images of other buildings including St. Paul's Anglican Church.


Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...