Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Salmon Fishing - Exploits River












Salmon Fishing - Exploits River

Salmon fishing is a popular sport in Newfoundland and Labrador. Today's photos were taken June 17, 2012 from the bridge crossing the Exploits River near Bishop's Falls. Each year during the salmon run, many people find a spot on the river where they hope to catch an Atlantic salmon and I wanted to add to my collection of "salmon fishing" photos. It may interest some of you to know that a few photos I made from the same bridge were published in magazines and newspapers over the years. Several years ago, a photo of a salmon fisherman (on a different river) was published on the cover of a phone book in Central Newfoundland.


Unfortunately, there are few salmon returning to the rivers in this province and the commercial salmon fishery has been closed for years. A few salmon farms in this province are doing OK, but most of the salmon we buy here were farmed in New Brunswick or British Columbia. It is sad to see such a valuable resource dwindling away year after year and I hope I never see the extinction of the Atlantic Salmon.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...