Thursday, February 02, 2012

Cape Broyle











Cape Broyle

Cape Broyle is located on the Southern Shore of the Avalon Peninsula along the Irish Loop. As a young university student I worked with a mining company and stayed in Mike's Hotel (which burned a few years ago) in this community for most of one summer. We explored the interior of the Avalon from this location and though we didn't discover a mine, it was an experience I'll always remember.

I haven't been including people in my photographs of communities but decided to include a few today. Those photos were taken after the opening of the "food fishery" in 2002. I was happy to see that they had caught some decent-sized fish and was caught up in the excitement of the fishermen who were allowed to catch a few cod for personal consumption.

You may have noticed a lot of trees on the hills around this town, especially when compared with several communities I've shared over the past month. This town, like several others in this part of the province, is located at the end of a fairly long harbour and isn't exposed directly to the pounding of the wind and waves of the open ocean. As you drive a little farther south on the Irish Loop you see areas where there are few trees that can be seen for miles. If you've never taken a ride around the Irish Loop, I would highly recommend it.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...