Friday, June 03, 2011

Moose 2





Moose 2

I received several comments about the moose photos I shared yesterday so I thought I would share them with you to let you see how other people react to the images. The first photo shows the calf looking up from the fresh growth it was eating. The mother smiled for me and you can see her bottom teeth in the fourth image. As usual they wandered down past my driveway and disappeared into the woods until our next encounter.

Love the moose.....

Do you think you are encouraging the moose to come back by not frightening them off. If you put in your vegetable garden, they may find it to be a No. One restaurant later on.

Love your beautiful photos of flowers and the moose that amble by your home, but especially the photos of holes. I find myself looking for holes everywhere. !!!!! It's amazing what you can find. I have become more aware of my surroundings because of your daily photos. Thanks.

I enjoy your pics of wildlife, and you have a special knack of getting good close-ups. don't push your luck though Bruce. Moose are very protective animals. not wanting to scare you, but caution yourself accordingly.

The three photos of the mother and its calf are beautiful and when you say that you were able to get really close to them, it reminded me of a visit I made to a friend in the winter . He was living in the Laurentians and every day they were visited by deers, half a dozen at a time, trying to "eat" several stumps sticking out of the snow, so I asked him : "What attracts them to these 3 particular stumps ?" He told me that they had prepared a "juice" of water and cigarette butts and poured it on these stumps ! Apparently, the taste of tobacco is more powerful than the taste of salt !

You mention that people stop to take pictures of the moose. When I was driving across Canada in 2000, I stopped to take pictures of some deer alongside the road. Another car pulled up behind mine. I didn't notice it was a police car until I got out to take a picture. He had his car window down, so I went over to see why he had stopped behind me. He told me I wasn't supposed to stop my car alongside the highway and said he understood why I had stopped. I then told him that I was already stopped and had my camera in my hand and was it O.K. to go ahead and take a picture. He didn't answer so I raised my camera, took a picture, and got back in my car and drove away. He followed me for quite a while until he finally turned off onto another road.

I was enjoying your "holes" series as well as the doors! Really enjoyed the moose, they are so elusive. That was one of the things I really enjoyed when I was living in Jasper...seeing all the wildlife.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

1 comment:

William F. Matthews said...

I too love your pictures of the moose, cow and calf. Well seen, well shot. As with birds, seeing the eyes makes the picture. Thank you for sharing.

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...