Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Caribou





I will be going on a photo shoot tomorrow and will not be sending my Photo of the Day for a couple of weeks.

While searching for images for today, I realized I had not shared any photos of caribou for a few years. Today's photos were scanned from slides that were taken in the early 80s when the Woodland Caribou herd on the Avalon Peninsula was quite healthy. I used to visit the St. Shott's area every year to photograph caribou and always saw LOTS of them. In recent years, however, I have been there twice and didn't see a single animal.

Though it was easy to see the caribou herd, which once numbered over 6 000 individuals, I often walked quite a distance from the road in order to capture decent images and stalked the animals as quietly as I could in order to get as close as possible. The large stags are more photogenic than the smaller females which have much smaller antlers.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...