Tuesday, September 07, 2010

St. John the Baptist







Today's photos were taken at the Basilica of St. John the Baptist in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, twenty-nine years ago. In those days I was using a Canon AE-1 camera with Kodachrome 25 or 64 slide film. In those days, I had to wait 2-3 weeks before I could see the slides - in Canada all Kodachrome had to be sent to Toronto or Vancouver for processing - and was very happy to see them when they finally arrived. Looking at these photos brought back memories and the feelings of excitement I had while making the images.

While I photographed the statues in front of the large church, the cloudless sky provided a deep blue background when I looked through my 500 mm mirror reflex lens (stolen from my car in the early 90s). I thought the figures looked almost "heavenly" with the bright statues and contrasting background and shot several images of each statue from a variety of angles. Over the next few days I plan to share the photo essay I created that day. You might ask what would be different about these statues today. I have photographed them several times over the years but have never seen the sky as beautiful as it was that day.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...