Sunday, November 05, 2006

Flowers in November

Yesterday, as I walked through the woods behind my house I photographed cracker-berry plants (I have been photographing them since last Spring) and found one that was still flowering this late into the year. This was the only flower I noticed during my 1 hour walk.

The second photo shows what most of the cracker-berry plants look like this time of the year. I find it unusual to still see flowers in November in this part of the world, but in other years I have seen wild roses and lupines flowering this late as well. I guess it is Nature's way of taking advantage of any good weather we may have. If we have a warm fall, the plants can continue their reproductive cycle beyond the "normal" season.

If I hadn't been looking for photographic subjects, I would have missed this completely. Taking a camera along on a walk makes me be more observant of my surroundings.




No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...