Friday, November 16, 2012

Florence, Italy 2
















       Florence, Italy 2

Thanks for the positive comments regarding yesterday's photos of Florence.  As we walked around the huge church, I wandered around being careful not to lose sight of our group.  So, while most people stood close to our guide in order to hear what she was saying, I was busy trying to capture images that would give viewers who have never seen the building an idea of what it is like.  As a result, I missed the information, but there is always the Internet!

The first photo shows the top of the huge dome that dominates the view of the city.  You can see several people who climbed the hundreds of steps to the top of the dome.  I would have loved to photograph the interior of this beautiful church but there was a long line and I didn't have time to wait. If you look closely at the photographs I've uploaded to my Blog, you will see other people who are getting a great view of the city.  If you compare the size of the people with the building, you should get an idea of the size of this building.

The statues that adorn the outside of the building are life-sized representations of saints and religious people of the time.  Often, when photographing churches, I like to make images of all the art, however, that was impossible at the Duomo - there was just too much in the time we were there.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...