Saturday, November 12, 2011

Église Saint-Michel 1









Église Saint-Michel 1

Yesterday was an excellent day for the Remembrance Day Ceremony here in Holyrood. It was sunny and warm, possible the best weather for a Remembrance Day that I can remember. I photographed the ceremonies and will share the images later - maybe next Remembrance Week.

Today I am sharing photos taken inside St. Michael's Church (Ėglise Saint-Michel) located in the Old Town of Villefranche in southern France. This church was built in the 14th century and was transformed in the 18th century to suit the tastes of that time. Like the other churches I photographed in the Mediterranean, this one was also fairly dark, however, the camera I was using performed very well.

The first photo shows the most unusual figure of Christ on the cross that I have seen. Situated behind the alter, the figure of Christ is in a unique position which indicates the pain He endured. This statue was carved from fig-tree wood by a prisoner or slave. The second photo shows another statue surrounded by an ornate frame containing many small paintings. The date on this piece of art was 1862. The other statues of Jesus, Mary and several saints are common in most Roman Catholic churches that I have photographed. The exception was the wooden statue of a man with an unusual looking dog.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...