Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cape St. Mary's

One of my favourite day trips is a visit to Cape St. Mary's on the Cape Shore. A walk along the trail takes you past steep cliffs to Bird Island, where you can observe (and photograph) the second largest northern gannet colony in North America.

The walk isn't too far. In the first photo you will see two people looking towards the point of land in the distance. The trail takes you to the whitish coloured rocks - the gannets. The second image give you an idea of the height of the cliffs in the area and the third shows how close you actually get to the nesting area.

I have visited Cape St. Mary's often and never tire of the beautiful scenery or the flight of the gannets. I do suggest you call ahead to find out what the weather is like. I have driven there from Holyrood (about 1.5 hours) to find that it was so foggy that I couldn't see a thing - not too good for photography!





No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...