Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Buchans 1993










Buchans 1993

In 1993, as part of a video series on Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador that I co-produced, my videographer and I visited Buchans to videotape the abandoned mine, interview representatives of the Buchans Development Corporation about their plans to keep the town alive after the ASARCO mine closed, interview representatives of new industries in the community, interview a geologist about new mining prospects in the area, videotape a drill rig and prospectors at work.  Since that time, a new mine has opened in the area.

Today I am sharing images taken around the old mine site.  Since the mine ceased operations in 1984, this site had been closed for only 9 years when the photos were taken.  Twenty years have passed and I assume the site has been cleaned up over that period of time.


I am still scanning slides from 1993 and will probably come across more photos of the Buchans area.  I will share them at that time.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...