Saturday, August 31, 2013

St. John's












St. John's

Last week I visited the downtown area of St. John's to make photos.  It was a nice day and since I wanted to photograph people, I wandered from eastern Duckworth Street, down to Water Street, then back again.  It took about an hour to walk that distance. I plan to share some of the images taken during that walk over the next few days.

It was an interesting experience because the last time I did this was early one Sunday morning in December 2001.  At that time I wanted to photograph the buildings without cars and people.  The downtown certainly has changed over the past 12 years!  There are no vacant buildings, businesses have come and gone, there are more pubs and restaurants, there are several new hotels, some buildings have been demolished and others have been given a facelift.  Today, the downtown area is much more vibrant and active - mainly because of the booming economy caused by the offshore oil industry and its many spin-offs.


A while ago I started to revise my St. John's Galleries and will make an effort over the next few days to accomplish that goal. When it is complete, I will share the links with you.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...