Monday, August 19, 2013

Bell Island 6











Bell Island 6

For the next couple of days I plan to share photos taken around Bell Island during a trip I made there in 1993 while producing a series of videos on mining in Newfoundland and Labrador for the provincial Department of Education.  Later, I co-produced a video on the history of Bell Island using some of the video footage taken during that trip. 

The still photos I shot on that trip have been filed for 20 years and this is the first time I have shared them.  The concrete structure was the place iron ore was dumped over a cliif, to be loaded aboard ships below. The steep cliffs haven't changed much but I would guess that the buildings shown in two of the photos above no longer exist.  


One thing that I have learned from my involvement in photography is that things are in a state of constant change. Of course, change in man-made buildings and people are a lot easier to observe than rocky cliffs, but everything changes and photographs allow us to see how things have changed over time.  The deterioration in the murals shown in yesterday's images and the disappearance of the "doll house" in photos a couple of days ago are good examples.

Charles Brown, the man in one of the photos above, was a great tour guide who obviously loved Bell Island and took us to places we wouldn't have found on our own.  I think he passed away several years ago. 

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends

SUMMER SALE - SAVE 50%. 
DETAILS AT: http://www.lanephotography.com/summer-sale-details.htm



Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...