Monday, August 27, 2007

Purple Loosestrife

I'd like to thank the people on my list who have also identified the plant and berries I sent last night as red-osier dogwood. I can now add that plant to my list of stock photos.

This morning I am sending another species I photographed for the first time while visiting Central Newfoundland. I think it is purple loosestrife, an invasive plant that is spreading all across North America. I didn't think we had that plant here in Newfoundland and Labrador, but when I saw it on the river banks in Badger, it was my first guess. I am including 3 photos that show a wide shot, medium shot of the flower and a view looking down on the plant that lets you see the leaves.

A few people responded to my Photo of the Day yesterday and thanked me for giving hints on photographing flowers. Since I have never done a biology course, I have relied on plant identification books to identify the species I have photographed. Most books have only one or two photos, and often identification is very difficult. As a result, I take photos from a variety of angles and make sure that I get the flowers (or fruit), leaves and habitat.

Again today, I'd like someone on this list to verify that I have identified the plant correctly. My identification books are packed away and it will probably be a month before all our stuff is unpacked.

A few years ago, students at MQP created a plant identification site using my photos. Maybe it's time to update that site. Feel free to check it out at:
http://www.mqp.k12.nf.ca/plants/plants_home.htm





No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...