Friday, August 17, 2007

Fish Flakes

In days gone by, fish flakes were a common sight in many communities dotting the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. Codfish were split and, because there were no refrigerators and few storage areas, were dried in the sun. Fish were put out each day and taken in at night until totally dried.

These days, however, there are few fish flakes in Newfoundland and Labrador, unless (like the one I photographed in Maberly, Trinity Bay) they have been built as tourist attractions. I am sharing three similar images taken looking towards the ocean with an island in the background.

To capture the first two images, I laid the camera on the wooden sticks and simply changed the composition. I shot the third photo from a higher angle and you should be able to observe the difference. I am sharing these photos to illustrate that you should try taking photos from different positions to see which composition you prefer. I hardly ever take one photo of a subject but try different compositions by standing, kneeling or moving around the subject.






No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...