Sunday, May 27, 2018

Red Deer

















Red Deer

While at the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park I photographed several deer. I think the ones I photographed were red deer, however, I am not certain.  A smaller, lighter-coloured male approached a larger male that was with a few females.  I think it was a challenge for dominance because the larger one left the females and approached the intruder.  They battled for a few minutes before the smaller one gave up and backed off. 

I have seen this type of behaviour on wildlife shows but was the first time I had witnessed it.  The photos were taken in late August, so I assume this was just a little test for mating rights.  If it had been later in the Fall, the battle may have been more intense.

Feel free to share with family and friends.



Photos of the Day are for sale as:

You can view more of my photos on my website and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...