Saturday, April 04, 2015

White-Eyed Vireo 2










White-Eyed Vireo
 
More photos of the white-eyed vireo building its nest.
 
While travelling in Southwest Florida. I decided to hike the 2.5 mile boardwalk trail through the Autubon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.  I’d heard it was an interesting walk with the possibility of seeing several species of birds.
 
I was happy that someone pointed out a black-eyed vireo building a small nest. By the time I could see it, the tiny bird had flown away.  I assumed that if it were building a nest, it will probably be back and, five minutes later it came back with a piece of plant material.  It poked around quite a bit, then even snuggled into the nest, seemingly to make sure it was comfortable.  Satisfied with the work, the bird flew off again.  I photographed it returning to the nest four times.  It was the first time I had seen this bird and was lucky to be able to photograph it.
 
Here is the site that helped my identify this specie - http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-eyed_Vireo/id

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.


 

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...