Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Great Blue Heron










Great Blue Heron

I spotted a great blue heron atop trees on an island in southwest Florida late one evening as the sun was setting. It was obvious because of its size and the fact that the reddish light from the setting sun was illuminating the tops of the trees only. An immature white ibis flew in and landed close by; too close for the blue heron because it fluffed its feathers and made threatening motions towards the much smaller bird. When the smaller bird flew away, the heron seemed very pleased with itself and stretched its long neck skyward and made interesting sounds.


I shot these photos with my 70-300 mm lens on maximum zoom. I guess it was more than 60 feet from where I was standing.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...